New Year's Eve in Germany was not quite what most people would expect. No, we did not celebrate at the Hofbrau house with pints of beer. Instead, we celebrated at a Thai restaurant down the street. A Thai owner who speaks only Thai and German, a Thai buffet and even Thai karaoke!
Just before midnight, we all trekked up the hill to the center of town where everyone gathers to celebrate the stroke of midnight along with drunken people putting bottle rockets in the snow drifts to go...wherever.
No, I do not have many pictures to show. I was too traumatized by all of the flashes and explosions going on around me to really enjoy it. 4th of July in the United States is always full of stories on the news of people that blow their hands off or lose an eye with cheap fireworks, or people that are drunk and don't know what they are doing.
So, about 30 minutes after leaving Traunstein and driving on the autobahn towards Austria, we arrived in Salzbergwerk Berchtesgaden (Salt Mine Berchtesgaden) in the city of Bad Reichenhall, Germany.

A picture I found on the internet of the sound and light show on the boat. Where's Mr. Suggs?
Sliding down the mine chute. Weeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
End of the tour
Just before midnight, we all trekked up the hill to the center of town where everyone gathers to celebrate the stroke of midnight along with drunken people putting bottle rockets in the snow drifts to go...wherever.
No, I do not have many pictures to show. I was too traumatized by all of the flashes and explosions going on around me to really enjoy it. 4th of July in the United States is always full of stories on the news of people that blow their hands off or lose an eye with cheap fireworks, or people that are drunk and don't know what they are doing.
So, about 30 minutes after leaving Traunstein and driving on the autobahn towards Austria, we arrived in Salzbergwerk Berchtesgaden (Salt Mine Berchtesgaden) in the city of Bad Reichenhall, Germany.
Salt has been mined there since 1517 and it opened its gates for visitors 170 years ago. Today, there is an interesting tour, a wooden slide an elevator and a cool light show on the ceiling of the mine as you glide through the briny water on a boat. It reminded me of that really scary scene in Willy Wonka! Unfortunately, pictures are prohibited in the mine, so this was all I got.

A picture I found on the internet of the sound and light show on the boat. Where's Mr. Suggs?
Sliding down the mine chute. Weeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment