Today, I decided to do a roadtrip to Oatman, Arizona. It was only a two hour drive from Las Vegas, so I figured why not?
I hoped in the Mustang, slathered on some sunscreen and off I went. It was a perfect, hazy day to have the top down.
It was a pretty hot day; over 100 degrees. I was walking down the street, when I saw a woman from the corner of my eye fall backwards. I heard her head hit the pavement. I ran over and saw she had passed out, presumably from the heat. I got her husband to pour some cold water on her and give her something sweet to drink. An ambulance was called, and off she went. You have to be really careful in the desert.
So, what's so special about Oatman? People believe Oatman was named posthumously for Olive Oatman, a young girl from Illinois who was taken captive by Yavapai Indians and forced to work as a slave. Later, she was traded to Mohave Indians who adopted her as a daughter and released her around 1855.
Gold was found in 1915, and Oatman became one of the top gold producers in the West for the next 1o years.
It was a pretty hot day; over 100 degrees. I was walking down the street, when I saw a woman from the corner of my eye fall backwards. I heard her head hit the pavement. I ran over and saw she had passed out, presumably from the heat. I got her husband to pour some cold water on her and give her something sweet to drink. An ambulance was called, and off she went. You have to be really careful in the desert.
| Some roadside sparkle. |
So, what's so special about Oatman? People believe Oatman was named posthumously for Olive Oatman, a young girl from Illinois who was taken captive by Yavapai Indians and forced to work as a slave. Later, she was traded to Mohave Indians who adopted her as a daughter and released her around 1855.
Gold was found in 1915, and Oatman became one of the top gold producers in the West for the next 1o years.
| The wild burros hang out in the town waiting to be fed by everyone. |
| Shootout! |
| The Oatman Hotel, built in 1902, is the oldest two-story structure in Mohave County |
| Carole Lombard and Clark Gable honeymooned here after their wedding in nearby Kingman, Arizona. |
| The honeymoon suite. |
| Thousands of dollar bills line these walls. |


No comments:
Post a Comment